Sunday, February 28, 2016

Post #3: DIY Face Creams and Hand Lotion

This week I chose to focus on all-natural lotions made with… yep! You guessed it, essential oils. Previously starting out I made a sleep blend, headache blend, and sheet spray to dip my toes in the water.  These three things were simple to make and a great way to learn how to use your oils. I’ll go over my process when I discuss how to add the oils to your lotion.

 Ingredients:     
Sleep Blend (10ml roll-on bottle)
·      5 drops Frankincense essential oil
·      5 drops Lavender essential oils
·      4 drops Stress Away essential oils
·      Fill rest of bottle with Jojoba oil

The process I use when handling my oils is to first layout all the oils you’ll need in a row on a paper towel. Then I place a pipette next to each. After this you’re ready to start using your oils. Carefully I open one oil at a time; then you have to remove the plastic dropper on each before you can use your pipette to extract the oil. Once you’re done with one oil, place the plastic dropper back in the bottle, and replace the lid tightly.



            Headache Blend (10ml roll-on bottle)
·      2 drops Lavender essential oil
·      2 drops Frankincense essential oils
·      2 drops Panaway essential oil
·      2 drops Peppermint essential oil
·      Fill rest of bottle with Jojoba oil

Sheet Spray (3oz glass spray bottle)
·      10 drops Lavender essential oil
·      10 Ylang Ylang essential oil
·      Fill the rest of the bottle 3/4th of the way up with distilled water


Feeling more comfortable using my oils I chose to start replacing some of my beauty and skincare products.  This week I made hand and face cream (day and night) with all natural ingredients. To make the face cream I chose to use:


  •    ¼ shea butter and ¼ cup coconut oil they both are amazing moisturizers, skin protectors, and can help heal damaged skin. 
  •   I bought my raw, organic and unrefined shea butter and coconut oil at our Natural Grocers here in town.
  •                      
  • 10 drops Frankincense essential oil for its anti-wrinkle effects. It’s also a good anti-inflammatory and antiseptic.
  •    7 drops Lavender essential oil to help with acne troubles but also because like Frankincense it has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can fight the bacteria that can cause acne and inflammation. 
  • 1 tsp. Jojoba oil to help nourish the skin.
  •      For the Night Creams I added 5 drops Lemon essential oil because it’s a natural alternative to restore a healthy glow to dull skin. Applied topically Lemon serves as an anti-oxidant, astringent, and detoxifier.
x
To make my face creams I made my own double boiler by using a glass Pyrex measuring cup in a pan filled half way with water. In the double boiler I melted ¾ cup shea butter and ¾ cup coconut oil.


I tripled the recipe because I wanted to make myself a day and night cream and my mom a night cream. Raw shea butter and coconut oil come solid, once it all melts to an oil I removed it from the heat and let it cool for about 30 minutes.

Then I separated the oil into 1 cup for the night creams and ½ cup for the day cream. After doing so I dropped in and stirred my Frankincense, Lavender, Jojoba, and Lemon oil (lemon only for night creams) into the already melted shea butter and coconut oil.


After adding you oils you want to wait for you mixes to partially solidify. I put mine in the freezer for 20 minutes to speed up the process. Once it was partially solidified I took my hand mixer and whipped the lotions until they reached a butter like consistency.
                       

I then transferred the lotions to 4oz jars. Once I put my lotions into the jars I put rubbing alcohol on cotton balls and cleaned the outsides of the jars (they’ll be oily).


After my jars dried and were clean I took the labels I got from Hobby Lobby and wrote the name of the product on them.

My whipped lotion was super simple. All I had to do is take 4 tablespoons coconut oil and whip it with your hand mixer while it’s in its solid state until the texture is smooth. Then I added 6 drops Lavender and 6 drops Frankincense. Mix together one more time and that’s it!










2 comments:

  1. WOW This looks like so much work! I'm legitimately impressed with the end result as well as the packaging - wonder if you are considering a small business? I like how you created something to mend different ails, I may have to try the sleep spray sometime. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed by how knowledgeable you are about essential oils! It's something that I've never really experienced before, but reading your blog makes me want to try some. You are really good at explaining everything step by step. Also, the pictures make it easy for the reader to follow along. Great article!

    ReplyDelete